Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day

I come from a patriotic family. We joke that we bleed red, white and blue. My father is a Marine (once and always). My brother was an army Sargent. I am so proud of my family. My brother is rough and tough. My brother has Psoriasis it is a skin condition that is very debilitating, but he soldiers on. With his disease come arthritis, he is in pain all of the time. He also knows of the true meaning of patriotism. On the days leading up to Memorial day, my brother and sister go out to the cemeteries and place flags on the graves of the men and women who gave all so that we can have our freedom. I was privileged to go with him to one cemetery this weekend. It was humbling to stop and say thank you to ones that some have forgotten. It was also discouraging to see the way some people disrespect our soldiers. Do you know that some of the brass plates marking the veterans graves have been stolen. Some have been covered with dirt and grass seed because some don't want to mess with mowing around them. How could someone do that? It hurts my heart.

No comments: