Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Doing battle at night.

Ok, so my daughter still had or has a sippy cup, and she doesn't sleep through the night. She sleeps in her own bed though. I was reading the blog of this poor woman, who said people were looking at her strange because her SEVEN month old wasn't sleeping through the night. I'm not telling anyone Hannah still doesn't at almost two. Maybe I should wear a bag on my head. The other day I realized that Hannah was still waking up about every three hours. So, I think to myself, it's time to take away the sippy at night. Plus, I want to start potty training. So I began this week. OHHH I need sleep. and I feel awful. "Mama milk. Mama C'mere." Note- I do go into the next room and sit, both rooms are open to the other. But at 4am I finally go to bed. She's still waking up every 3 hours or so. Got any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Each child is different and what works for one may not work for another. I hope this helps. I am not suggesting 'do what I did' just giving you an idea of what worked for me.

Both of my children slept through the night within a few months. At 2 my youngest began waking up for no apparant reason. I found a bedtime routine worked. If it was after 3pm, no naps, no matter what the cost to my sanity. Supper by 6pm. A nice warm bath and pj's. Quiet evening, no lound activities. To bed and bedtime story. Drinks before bed were limited to water. Even juice is like a sugar pill in water. No sweet snacks. Bed by 7:30 pm. It took only a week to get her back to sleeping all night. By all night I mean 11 or 12 hours straight.

When she was potty training and could go through the day without an accident, I would put her to bed with the pullup on. Before I went to bed I would rouse her just enough to get her to the potty. She never really woke up, used the potty and right back to her snuggly bed. We rarely had night time accidents. No milk before bed. It really does make them have to go more in the night.

My oldest who is now 18 yrs old was easy compared to the youngest who is 7. She slept through the night after 6 weeks and potty trained by 12 months.

Good luck to you and get some sleep at least for the hours she is actually sleeping.