Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Glasses for Banana's

The other day I was in the grocery, when a man stop to comment to my daughter. This is not an unusual thing, she has huge blue eyes, and is darn cute if I do say so myself. She is also a very social little girl. Anyways, after commenting to her, he looked at me and asked if he could tell me something about her, and I not get mad. I said sure. He told me that his daughter, as a young one, had a lazy eye, and he thought Hannah had the same. Now, let me tell you something, My beautiful older sister at 18 months, one of her eyes crossed. You can not tell that now, and she is beautiful. Well, I looked at Hannah and got one of those gut wrenching, feelings. My sister grew up with thick glasses, and the kids teased her something awful. In fact, even to this day, (with men following her around like puppy dogs) she still doesn't think she is pretty. So, I went home and tried to think about what to do. I didn't want to say anything to my sis, because I knew it would upset her, but I had to think of some way to get Hannah in to see a Doctor. I couldn't sleep, that night, and it was a weekend and the adults were sitting around the table (remember I lived with my sis) They asked why I was up, and I told them I couldn't sleep, and explained why. My sister said she would take Hannah into the eye doctor she does some secretarial work for, and she joked that she would curse me if anything was wrong with hannah's eyes cause I named her after my sis, (middle name).
Well, consider myself cursed. A few minutes ago, I got a tearful call from my sis saying she had just picked out a pair of glasses for Hannah. She is very far sighted, and it's her right eye that is worse of the two, we thought maybe it would be her left like my sis's. She will have to have her glasses on all the time. Which should be interesting for a 23 month old. My sis is devastated, I'm not. I don't think.

No comments: